Of course, Simmons and Embiid could play together, as they’d been teammates for all but one of their respective on-court professional seasons, but still, for one reason or another, the question just kept coming up, and the generally accepted answer as to what Elton Brand and eventually Daryl Morey should do became rather singular. More from Section 215
- Philadelphia Eagles: Can Willie Henry finally put it all together in 2021?
- Philadelphia Phillies: What happens if they “Sell” at the trade deadline?
- Philadelphia Eagles: 3 players due for an increased role in 2021
- Philadelphia Eagles: John Hightower’s ceiling and floor in 2021
- Philadelphia 76ers: Alec Burks is heating up for the New York Knicks
In 2020-21, the Philadelphia 76ers played Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons together for 1,164 minutes over 42 games.
Do you want to know what else is pretty good? The 2.5 average points per minute the Sixers score when Embiid and Simmons are on the court together, which ranks among the best markets on the team too, second actually among pairings with 1,000 or more minutes played together behind only Embiid and Seth Curry.
If either player – or basketball gods willing, both players – can leave the season with one of the league’s premier award, it’ll fully vindicate all of the work the Philadelphia 76ers did to get the duo on their roster, but even if that doesn’t happen, the real award of the 2020-21 NBA season was finding a way to play Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons together effectively, and to his credit, Doc Rivers did just that.